WELCOME! We hope you have fun with our program. For the safety of yourself and others, please review the following guidelines. These are all discussed with demonstrations at the Volunteer Orientation and Safety Training class at the beginning of each session.
Please download and read these two PDFs.
- Because you play a vital role in our program, we do expect regular attendance. If you are unable to come on a scheduled day, please make a note in the sign-in sheet, or call (650) 947-8680 and leave a message with at least 24-hours’ notice.
- Class may be cancelled on rainy, windy, or very hot days. Call (650) 947-8680 after 2pm on the day of the program to check the status.
- Always wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes for your safety. You should dress according to the weather conditions on class day. During hot weather, shorts and sunglasses are fine.
- Check in with the program coordinator before starting any task. Never handle a horse without permission.
- Remember, safety comes first. If you are uncomfortable with completing an assigned task, please consult with the horse leader or program coordinator.
- Listen carefully to the instructor. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
- Never approach a horse from behind; horses cannot see directly behind or in front of them. Always approach from the side.
- DO NOT hand feed horses. Please check with the horse leader before offering treats. If allowed, treats should be given in a treat bucket located in the 4-H barn.
Thank you very much!